View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 11:36 AM   #106
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
To understand the arguments of the opponents here, you'll find that none of these headline-making "incidents" can be traced to any blame whatsoever.
Yes, they were called "incidents" before these totally-unforeseen tragedies were later called "accidents".

You see, the tragedies on other lakes don't count, tragedies on the ocean don't count, the boat size can't be blamed in tragedies, radar doesn't work on boats, the boat weight can't be blamed in tragedies, visibility from the boat doesn't count, polls don't count, the "stuffing of e-ballots" from other states and countries is held blameless, organized weekend events by GFBLs can't be blamed, the introduction of increased boater-education can't be faulted, "drugs" are always prescription drugs, horsepower is of no concern to other boaters, and now it's, "SPEED is 'innocent of all charges'"?

Supporters can only place blame on the 20% of Winnipesaukee boaters who don't have alcohol on board.

I'm SO confused.
You're not confused APS. You've made it abundantly clear that speed is always the issue, but only when your least favorite boats are involved. I've seen bad boy, Type AAA people and their arrogance in anything from 18' bowriders to cruisers to go fasts and everything in between.

Do GFBL crashes and incidents take place? Of course they do, thankfully, most are far away from all of us. But some happen here, no doubt. Crashing into an island is more than likely not caused by high-speed, but sometimes, maybe it is. Would you be disappointed when a boat crashes into an island at 25 mph, and it's a pontoon boat? Perhaps disappointed isn't the proper word. DISINTERESTED more accurate?

Let's say Littlefield was going 40 mph, even 50 mph. My guess is everyone in the Hartman boat would have been dead or partially crushed, but there would be prop marks somewhere. Let's say the Formula Cruiser last year (not a go fast by any means), was doing 35 mph or more. Would the island have been easier to overcome? Do you guys shake your fists in anger, shouting foul, when the speed comes in at or under your favorite SL?

I think the difference between you and me, and the countless others that don't have such a fever about a class of boats. We tend to zero in on the trouble makers first, then the inexperienced boaters that, innocently enough, cause problems for others, even themselves.

I shake my head everytime I hear of a Stepped go-fast that has flipped, or ejected their occupants. I shake my head when people drown needlessly in small fishing boats in the early spring fishing season. I shake my head when a sailboat, under power, cuts across my bow in the channel, arrogantly pronouncing his own right of way.

Yes APS, we would all appreciate it if serious boater training would occur, in all craft. Yes, I know, go fasts, especially stepped-hull designs, require more training, as do cats. But interestingly enough, the only people that want to do something about it are almost all opponents of the SL. Why is that APS? Why are the gang of five of the most vocal proponents so adverse to engaging in any discussion? Heaven forbid the SL opponents engage in discussion with the MP, assisting them, searching for answers, or even helping them out to spot problem boaters.

Some of your diatribes from years past reveal that the SL law amounts to only 15% or so of your disdain for many on the lake. Yet you do nothing to point out infractions, unless is your least favorite group. You, and some of the even nastier SL proponents, have been visibly absent from any and all safety discussions. Your cynicism and rants dissuade many SL supporters from engaging many of us in the discussion. When facts are brought up, you show pictures from old incidents, without revealing anything that could possibly harm your precious agenda.

In short, the pro SL people that boat more frequently than others, have far more experience than the boneheads, have offered absolutely nothing in the way of promoting safety, encouraging discussion that could possibly help to educate more boaters. You guys are a one-trick pony, and deserve the lake you get.