View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008, 08:48 PM   #7
CanisLupusArctos

I do not have comment on local politics, nor do I believe that it's time for it (i.e., let those involved do their grieving and don't make it worse for them.)

However, I do have comment on the news story posted.

It's a prediction: As someone with a journalism background I can say that this sort of thing has the capability to catch the eye of the less-local press, and therefore, unfortunately, we may see more of this type of coverage from the less-local media in the days to come (not definite, but a good chance.) Here is why: Remember that journalism is an English degree, and any English major can tell you that his or her life is all about learning how to spot stories with lots of conflict and irony and all those other things that your english teacher/professor tried to get you to include in your term papers.

While the motto of the Society for Professional Journalists says "Seek the Truth and Report It," there has been a growing trend among media entities toward "Find Real-Life Shakespearian Ironies and Conflicts and Sensationalize Them." It sells ads because it grabs viewers. Today's major media outlets are major corporations like any other on the stock market. The only way the sensationalism will change is if you/we the viewers & readers get involved by regularly writing to the media entities and letting them know what we think of their reporting. Viewers and readers should continuously encourage the press not to stray from the SPJ motto.

As the U.S. Constitution says, the press (i.e. truth telling) is absolutely necessary in order to have a free state. When we allow the press to take steps away from truth-telling, it affects us all.