View Single Post
Old 06-28-2019, 06:02 AM   #30
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Bought a car in Florida and as a NH resident I didn't need to pay sales tax as long as it's registered in NH. Drove it home, registered, inspected and drove it back to Florida where it remains. No inspections required and I just renew each year,
Years later I bought another car in Florida for use in NH. Again, no sales tax, shipped it home and registered here. All legal and no tax. Love NH
That gets complicated when you change your residence. I changed my residence to Florida for tax purposes a few years ago.

When I was negotiating the purchase of a car in Florida, that I would take to and register in New Hampshire,the dealership told me if I took possession of it in Florida the sales tax would be due. That included if I had it shipped to New Hampshire on a truck that I arranged for.

Their policy was that the only way Florida sales tax would not be due was if the dealer shipped it to NH because that would not constitute me taking possession of the car in Florida. I think that is legally correct. I am sure they were making money on the shipping too.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote