View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #52
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I was driving the ol' Jeep down 89 from Burlington VT Friday. It was fairly straight stretch in Andover, NH. With the cruise control set at 74 on my Garmin NUVI 225, the Jeep speedometer says 77,78 mph. Local Andover cruiser stopped me and clocked me at 82 mph! So the GPS was off 8 mph!

Garmin claims .1 mph accuracy. I was traveling in a straight line. I'm wondering if the radar could be inaccurate. It was an one of those dashboard mounted units and he was parked in the median.

I wonder how they check the accuracy of police radar as I am sceptical of an 8 mph difference. How would you know if the LEO is telling the truth?
If your work schedule allows you the opportunity, contest it. You really stand no chance against a speeding ticket as a valid RADAR certificate for the officer training and his equipment means his word against yours. It's a civil offense so there's no reasonable doubt criteria. BUT, you can hope he doesn't show.

Buy a radar detector. It stops you from casually driving along and getting a needless ticket.