View Single Post
Old 12-31-2020, 07:24 AM   #5
jeffk

I would say, it depends. If a tree falls and breaks the ABB cable along with the power lines, you are dead in the water. Further, power will be restored before the cable is fixed. In severe storms, the cable repair may be way out from the power repair.

I don't know if and how ABB cable equipment uses line power to push it's signal? If it only requires a "push" at certain key points and the cable is intact, the signal may continue to go through. If it needs a periodic boost from the power line to rebuild power levels, the signal will degrade as the power is no longer available along the way. The farther it travels the weaker it gets.

In addition, internet signals travel through a complex path to get to your home. In a major storm, an interruption could happen far from your home and still drop your connection. Systems are self healing to a point, automatically rerouting to establish a connection, but that can lead to bandwidth problems and other issues causing erratic behavior.

I would say that reliable monitoring via internet during conditions likely to cause a general power outage is NOT dependable. If you lose your monitor info, you could wait a few hours and then ask someone local to check your house. You can also check the power company outage maps to see if there is an outage in your area, when it is likely to be fixed, and go from there. If power is restored and you still can't monitor, the cable is probably down. You could call your cable company to see what outages they are reporting.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links