View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #69
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I would think they would use Pease too. It would be closest and it is a great runway and as you said, the AF still have a presence there. I wish Pease would get another commercial airline in there.
Air Force 1 is not always the widebody 747. It's whatever plane the president flies on.

When Bush I and Bush II were up for trips to Maine, the most common method was for them to fly the smaller plane into Sanford and then use motorcade to K-port. Sometimes, they would use the 747 into Pease but that was the exception, not the norm. Then they high-tailed it up the Maine Turnpike.

If Romney were to get elected President, there are a couple options they could do. They could fly to Pease and helicopter to Laconia then motorcade. They could do the same operation but instead fly to Sanford then Laconia via heli. Or the could use a plane direct to Laconia but I don't know enough about what planes they use and runway length to know what works and what doesn't.

Here's a picture of Air Force One at Sanford Maine I snagged from the web. You can clearly see it's not a 747....
Attached Images