View Single Post
Old 05-15-2018, 01:58 PM   #15
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
We have struggled with unwanted otter "presents" in our boathouse for quite some time. It can get very frustrating: the smell, having to scrape the stuff off the boathouse floor.

The previous owner was so frustrated he sat in a hide all night with a gun. No comment on whether that was a good idea, but at least the otters figured it out and no shots were fired.

We tried leaving a boom box running all the time. This worked for several weeks but they figured it out and went back to their old habits.

We've now installed a PestZilla animal repellant, which is an alarm and strobe light attached to a motion sensor. Surprisingly for such a simple solution, it has totally cured our problem.

But knowing these animals to be loath to give up, does anyone have any suggestions for a more robust solution?

Thank you!
We had them for years. Most of the activity took place during the offseason, which made the cleanup doubly hard, because all those fish scale-loaded poops had fused to the dock. They also loved pulling down and pooping on orange PFD vests! Very strange. A few times, I *just* missed the culprit, coming into the boathouse to find fresh scat and fresh wet foot & tail prints.

One year, we had a beaver problem under the boathouse (crib dock). That was annoying, but it was fun to see the beaver around now and then.

Never did figure out that otter problem...now the house is someone else's.