View Single Post
Old 10-31-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
WinnDixie

Default Our family

Well, I guess this "outs" me..but, since I already referred to it in the post about which generation we are ,in the Lakes Region...that is my husband's three-greats grandfather. He and his cousin, and her husband, have been working on this for some time and we are all very happy to have the veteran's marker in place. Took a little research on how to achieve it, but there it is. The newspaper articles chronicle his life well, but I can add one interesting little fact. My husband's grandmother would tell how "Blind John" ("Grampa"), who was her husband's great grandfather, would come around every fall, when they were young marrieds and check to see that they had gotten in their winter's supply of vegetables, dried meat, etc. all carefully stored, because, as she told us, "There was no 'relief' back then, you know". Such different times! Chickie, you are right...it will be interesting to hear of others, and what their stories are. People need to listen to the stories of the grandparents while they can...they are the primary source material for history.
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote