View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 05:32 AM   #34
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
I never said that. I never said anything remotely like that. I never implied that.

Please stop trying to put words in my mouth.
I wrote:

"The "cowboy atmosphere" seems to be a common complaint. I firmly believe that the real problem was simply crowds that spawned large numbers of safe passage violations due to impatience and poor operation.

I think we can all agree that there's a lot fewer boats on the lake than there were 5 years ago. I think that is the number one reason why the lake may feel safer to some people.

I expect to see the crowds and "cowboy atmosphere" return once/if the economy improves. I would not be surprised if it's worse since the MP presence will likely be reduced and/or if the MP will again be tasked with silly work like patrolling no-wake zones, patrolling no-rafting zones, creating "safe passage situations" in "narrow" channels (I really hate it when they do that) and/or measuring speed.

If the economy recovers, the crowds will return and I think the speed limit will affect the cowboy atmosphere on Winnipesuakee the same way it does in MA (not at all). "

You wrote in reply:

"I'm sorry but I think you are incorrect.

I am a member of performance boat forums at other sites like OSO. In those forums you will find multiple declarations from performance boaters that the speed limit has caused them to go elsewhere and that they will never return to Winni while it has a speed limit.

I have no idea what the numbers are, yet clearly there are a number of boaters that have left Winni because of the speed limits. To argue otherwise is absurd. "

That's the conversation I was referring to. I have no idea why you think I put words in your mouth. What exactly did you disagree with in your reply?

If you truly think the speed limit will prevent a "cowboy atmosphere", I suggest that you spend a Summer weekend on the Connecticut River in MA sometime (especially if the economy recovers). They've had a 45 MPH speed limit for years and it's mayhem. It's also incredibly easy to patrol, being a narrow river and all. Like Winni, most of the boats there are going well under 45 MPH. Take a trip and see the speed limit in action.