View Single Post
Old 06-01-2020, 01:47 PM   #38
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default History of the lake

During the '50s, 60's, 70's, boaters and shorefront owners have lived in harmony. This was before the status quo decides to build McMansions and call the lake their property. At the same time, the boat population exploded the Southies took over the land. So the story goes.

My family has been on The Broads since 1892. We never had issues with neighbors and boaters. Sure they raft or anchor out front. It is their privilege. Never had an issue as it is a way of life on the lake.

Now the cottages in my 'hood are torn down for McMansions. The owners decided the annual 'hood get together is a pita and call the cops. They even call the MP when we want to waterski out front! We can't even kayak along the shore we have to go out several hundred feet! The 'hood turned to trash.

I'm happy to move to Lake Winnisquam where everything is back to normal less stressful. The good old days. It's too bad Winnepesaukee became a status symbol.

I still have a big boat on 'pesaukee. Only cruise during the week and off-season when the seasonal folks are gone.