View Single Post
Old 08-06-2018, 09:30 PM   #14
ApS

Arrow This Weekend, While Birding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
The water past the bridge at Silver Sands is as brown as brown can be. It looks like the Mekong Delta.
Boats stored in that area can be identified by a deep brown stain below the waterline. But the water is clear, right? A dark stain in the water is an indication of water flowing through forest leaves. (and not so much, pine needles).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
From the presentation at the meeting it seemed as though they had a pretty good idea of major tributaries flowing into the lake and the quality of that water. It was these secondary flows they are after. Pretty neat how they have been able to divert the source into a catch basin area and then put plantings on top of it to use the water below.
After viewing extensive new "catchbasinery" along central Florida highways, I've done the same with my Wolfeboro driveway, adding two catch basins using a rented Kubota. Hilly New Hampshire roadways—and there are many—are begging for the same treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
Maybe the solution is to assess all waterfront homes and camps in NH a special pollution assessment fee each year which can be used to mitigate problems.
According to a local resident, a simple test kit (think litmus test) is available from local water quality sources that tests lake water for biological contaminants. A single lot can be (and was) identified as the polluter.

Last edited by ApS; 08-07-2018 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Add last sentence and Kubota link
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote