View Single Post
Old 03-17-2023, 10:13 AM   #37
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
Without short term vacationers, no one in the future will have the memories of vacationing at Lake Winnipesaukee that I have read from the older Forum members (myself included) who vacationed here for a week or two in the past.

I can't imagine the Lakes Region not being a vacation land. Full-time residents aren't going to go to Fun Spot often enough to keep it in business.

Place all the other vacation oriented enterprises on the chopping block...The Mt. Washington, most restaurants (too much cooking at home by full-timers), scenic railroad, etc. How many time are you going to take The Cog Railway as a full-timer?

There's a lot of short-term rental agencies, like Bayside Rentals, one of the agencies I've used to rent my place while being 3,200 miles away for over 20 years with never a problem or complaint from neighbors. In fact my neighbors have made great friends with some of the short-termers who rented there. These agencies will be gone.

I also have rental property in San Francisco and when I am 3,200 miles away in the other direction, I've never had a problem. Once I got a call about a stuffed-up toilet and had it fixed within one hour.

Last year I got notice from long-term tenants in San Francisco that they were vacating at the end of July. Within 30 days, the apartment was inspected, security deposit refunded, entire unit re-painted, re-carpeted and re-rented. No agency involved. I never left Meredith.
I have fond memories of coming up here many motorcycle weekends staying in one room cabin colonies. Most of those are gone now and the few left are closed with "for sale" signs on them. Those times are gone and will never return, but a vacation area needs rentals. The new online sites are not as reliable as the local rental agencies, but they are popular for investors because it puts more money in their pockets. The biggest issue of the past 3 years has been investors scooping up single family property for rental. In the past, a single family property wasn't a profitable income producer.
I live in a city in Ma that gives a sizable discount for owners that occupy their homes, 20%. I'm not sure why more cities and towns don't do this? They would have to up the tax rate but it shift the burden to investors.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post: