Thread: Power back on
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2019, 04:03 PM   #34
panjumbie

Default Test times for gensets

The test in most cases is instigated by the transfer switch. The ASCO transfer switches at my radio stations remember the last time the test button was used, and are typically programmed to repeat the test weekly at that time. Our service guy sticks a label on the switch with the test time on it, so I'll know when to expect it. I suspect some of the newer switches may have a digital display which can tell you when the test runs.

Starting the test cycle is usually not difficult, on our switches, you just push the labeled button. If you don't like the test time, ask your service guy how to start the test (or read the instruction manual that should have come with your unit.) Then start the test yourself at the desired time, and, assuming your unit is set up like ours, the test will repeat every week at that time.

Be aware that this test only tests the starting circuit for the genset, and probably that the genset is producing electricity unloaded. In fact you probably have to look at the genset panel itself, not the transfer switch, to make sure the unit didn't fail. A red "fail" light on our generators is bad news. It does not test the circuitry that detects a utility power failure, or the actual transfer mechanism, both of which can fail without your knowledge. Nor in most cases will it test that your genset will continue to produce electricity when the load (your house) is connected to it. That is why the only real test is to simulate a utility failure by pulling the disconnect. Yes that is disruptive, you'll spend some time resetting digital clocks and such.

Hopefully you have a UPS for your computer equipment, and you change the batteries in the UPS every few years before they won't hold a charge.

I worked for a major TV network for years before semi-retiring, and we ran those "pull the main switch" power tests about every six months. We often found issues, and we usually spent a day after the test discovering devices that died after having been turned off for the first time in six months. But the generators saved us on several occasions; I particularly remember the 2003 blackout when they kept us running for half a day. (I was there.)

If you really want this to be as "worry free" as possible, you need a good service outfit familiar with your equipment, and you may want them to check it monthly or quarterly instead of annually or semi-annually. Still, expect occasional hiccups and costs, it is like a modern larger boat on the lake, it doesn't take care of itself.
panjumbie is offline   Reply With Quote