View Single Post
Old 06-19-2006, 05:56 PM   #68
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Angry Concerns re Alton Cell proposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winni
Skipper, you are using ridiculous scare tactics, and I hope most people are realizing how really base that tactic is. You KNOW this is not what the proposed towers are to look like. They will be 10 feet above the tree line, for cell relays only, and…..
The TRUTH can be ridiculous and scary. I’ve not seen the Alton proposal. The picture I presented, as stated, was of the Foxboro MA tower built by the Co-Applicant for the proposed Alton Cell towers. I assumed that people would be smart enough to read what I’ve written and realize why I posted the picture. I'll try to illuminate and reiterate my position: it’s Not about WHAT may be coming to Alton but WHO. It was but one of a few examples of Industrial Communications and Electronics (ICE) at work.

Once upon a time, ICE eventually received permits to build a 450 foot communications tower in Foxboro MA (pictured above) – This tower is WAY BIGGER than what people claim is proposed for Alton. Industrial Communications and Electronics (President, Frank DiRico) had the tower erected. Over a period of time it was discovered that the tower had GROWN an additional 115’ higher than the original permit allowed. Put another way. After Mr. DiRico’s company built the tower “by the book” the tower grew another 25%!!

There are other ICE towers that clandestinely grew taller too. You may find that revealing this story is a ridiculous and scary tactic. That kind of history could well be. It sure causes me concern. Again I say the ONLY things in common between the Foxboro tower picture and the proposed Alton Cell sites are the tower APPLICANT, Industrial Communications & Electronics and cell antennae.

What does the disclaimer in my Mutual Funds say? Past history is no guarantee of future performance – or something like that. That could apply here about ICE. They seem to have a thriving business and many satisfied customers. That does not relieve me of my concerns.

Quote:
Why isn’t the safety of everyone, with a technology now available to us, the ONLY issue here? I just don’t get it.
You have a point. You are driving a car with ONSTAR, impact avoidance systems, front and side air bags and all the latest safety technology now available to us. So why should anything stand in your way of full cell phone coverage? I don’t know. I’m sure you have the best cell service available (with the most roaming capabilities) and the most useful cell phone (multi mode, Tri-band) not just a GSM or a Nextel or digital only phone. You probably have a cell phone docking station in your car to allow for an outside antenna and higher power for better cell coverage. For quite awhile I refused to change from my high power "bag phone" with outside antenna to a tiny hand held phone - I wanted the best coverage. Same with the Verizon REGIONAL plan I had. I didn't want to change to their America’s Choice Plan because I would lose coverage in Northern NH (and other places) due to contractual agreements between cell carriers.

Quote:
These scare tactics are just ridiculous!!! {snip} but we aren’t going to allow people to have cell service?
I thought the topic had to do with where the cell towers go and who puts them there. Who wants to deny you or anyone of cell coverage? Not me. Why did the Zoning Board turn down the proposal? Ask them. Is there really one and only one way to provide full cell coverage around the Alton Bay area? I would imagine there are more ways to accomplish this worthy goal and more than one provider up to the task.

Quote:
…At the very least, admit what the real issue is and be honest about why you are objecting!
OK, I'll stop being subtle. I take exception to the implication that I am anything other than honest. I DO NOT object to adding cell towers in the area. I don’t know how to make this more clear. I personally have little confidence in Frank DiRico and Industrial Communications and Electronics. . My concerns are about ICE and not about cell tower aesthetics.

You claim the proposed towers will be 10 feet above the tree tops. Other posts claim a different height. Assuming 10’, is the top of the tower 10’ above tree tops or is it the bottom tier (of 4) of cell antennae that will be 10 feet above the tree tops? And what happens as those trees grow? Why maybe the tower will need to grow too.

I’m trying to decide if it would be worthwhile to share one of the personal, one-on-one experiences I’ve had with Frank DiRico and in a different situation an episode I had with ICE. I’ve got more to say but this is already too long. I hope I’ve made myself clear Winni and that you have opened your door to reality . Let us know what happens at the zoning meeting.

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.