View Single Post
Old 06-17-2006, 11:29 AM   #66
Winni

Thumbs down Stop the Exaggerations!

Skipper, you are using ridiculous scare tactics, and I hope most people are realizing how really base that tactic is. You KNOW this is not what the proposed towers are to look like. They will only be 10 feet above the tree line, for cell relays only, and probably look like a fake pine tree. Anyone who looks at your pictures and believes that's what we are to get is just...well, you know...the s****d word.

Again, I have no connection to these companies, but I DO NEED CELL coverage. It happened AGAIN just yesterday! My husband was in an accident on the road near the north end of the 11-D/ Rt. 11 junction here in Alton Bay. (One of those lovely huge trucks carrying motor cycles backed into him before he could get the car into reverse. Grumble; grumble...that's another story.)

He tried "911" on his cell phone, but got "No Signal"! So, he tried to get me on his cell phone. All I got from him was that he couldn't get 911; it was an emergency, something about "...in an accident at the end of 11-D...", and the signal dropped because all you can get there is roaming and you drop in and out of cells all over the place.

I called 911 for him on the land line but could give them no information as to whether there were injuries or anything else. So, I just headed out to the scene. I heard the police cruiser whiz by full blast up on Rt. 11, but when I had called on the land line, I had no idea exactly where the accident was.

As it turns out, it was around the bend of 11-D and couldn't be seen from Rt. 11. So, I had to go up and wait for the cruiser to come back and flag him down. No, there were no injuries THIS TIME. But, what about next time and the time after that and if there were injuries where moments counted? Why isn't the safety of everyone, with a technology now available to us, the ONLY issue here? I just don't get it.

As we have hashed over many times in this forum before, people will say, "Well, what happened before we had cell phones?" The answer is, "People died! People hurt more; etc." What about before we had transplant surgery, light bulbs, radio towers, etc.? There will always be "before" and "after" and there will always be people who fight change to the end. But, how many of those people will be glad that change happened when they need emergency services?

These scare tactics are just ridiculous!!! We are in the 21st century. We have the technology to do things better. We are letting huge chain stores like Hannaford into our town which require a stop light, but we aren't going to allow people to have cell service?

This is all about the view issue for a couple of abutters and not about safety or the public good, and we all know it. So, let's stop the silly scare tactics and give up these ridiculous counter attacks! At the very least, admit what the real issue is and be honest about why you are objecting!