Thread: Change of Plans
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 04:44 PM   #20
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
But just be forewarned. Grass is always greener on the other side of the road.

Just remember the temperatures here are probably 20 degrees colder then NJ. Winters can be long. And lots and lots of snow shoveling. If renting then you really don't have to worry much. But if purchasing a home you will have to do all yourself or hire someone. Although there are many fine trades people here some find it quite frustrating finding any repair/trade person to actually show on time as expected or show up at all.

Some people have the myth perception that New Hampshire is the same as New Jersey (NY,CT,RI, etc.) but with more trees and less taxes. It is not. NH lacks many of the cultural and shopping amenities that people in those urban states take for granted.

I hope you are not moving to Wolefboro cold turkey. I hope that you have friends or relatives in the area. If not, I highly suggest you join as many groups or organizations as possible such as the Lions Club and such. And if a church goer - join and become active in the church. And possibly if time alows do some volunteer work at the local hospital. For the good of others of course but for the good of yourself - to find friends and to meet people.

Good Luck.
Thanks for your concerns Songkrai. I DO have friends in the area and went to school at New Hampton. My family also had a house in Melvin Village for 15+ years. Although I have not lived there year-round, I do have a sense of what I'm getting into. I moved to Maine from Boston and knew one person. Stayed for 10 years and still have friends there. I moved to NJ from Maine and knew one person, been here 13 years and had some good experiences, including a well-paying, secure job that lets me work remotely and is the whole reason I can move to the lakes region I am a New England woman through and through and am coming HOME!!
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote