Thread: Gas Prices
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #54
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post
MAXUM, just so you know as soon as I read that I stopped reading. Last time I checked at the pump we don't enter any political information. This issue goes way beyond party lines.....

I will tell anyone if you don't look at other energy sources we're going to get it handed too us in the long run. Travel to China with me next month and a 4th grader could see the growth and money infusion going on over there. In fact, when they build over there most companies work 24 hours to get the project done so they can get to the next one.

The US is quickly losing its economic dominance as China's population is way bigger than our. So we either use our smarts now or we'll look like dunces later. I work down in the weeds of technology and let me tell you China is at a HUGE advantage for innovation. They're still behind us but with the $$ infusion from countries all around the world they're gaining very quickly. It's frightening what I've seen happen in just the last 10 years in the tech sector.

All that growth means China is sucking fuel and competing for the same resources we have. If you think "green" is a negative term I recommend you change your thinking. What's wrong with efficiency?

European appliances SPANK us in efficiency. Look how many computers and routers are sitting on home desks that were not there until the mid to late 90s. Flip it over and look how much current they draw and think how many PCs there are. I've got muliple in my house alone. A lot of the current requirements in your router were based on Eurpoean energy standards. If you want some of the highest efficiency heating and cooling appliances in the world, guess what, European. We've got to get Americans to change their mindsets. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result = insanity.
China is also a communist country and the government controls everything including the work force. Yes they are flush with cash, but much of that is made on the backs of what is essentially government sanctioned slavery. While the outward appearance may look inviting, peel back the covers of how they got there and it's ugly. China, yeah I've been there, not impressed either.

Far as alternative energy goes, we are spending money that we simply cannot afford to spend developing alternative energy sources that have not yet proven to be as reliable and cost effective as fossil fuels. Now I have no philosophical opposition to developing these technologies, but it is NOT the government's job to be in the business of directly financing it. Rather I'd prefer to see companies working on this stuff to get tax break considerations and let the venture capitol fund the development. Until these alternatives are cost effective and as efficient as fossil fuels they should not be forced down out throats. Should they be encouraged, absolutely.

We are loosing our economic dominance and for that matter our status as the lone super power for one reason and one reason only. Our elected officials are creating a very hostile business climate which is forcing companies to either look overseas to cheaper labor or face failure. No surprise with the highest corporate tax rate on the planet it's not in anyone's interest to employ domestically anymore. My company has already in 5 years shipped over 1/2 of it's US based jobs overseas to the tune of over 150K jobs, and their long term objective is to have that current number cut in 1/2 again in the next three years to get the number down to about 75K. Isn't that just nice? The current tax and over reaching regulatory structure is killing our economy. As I have said before the class warfare isn't going to solve our economic woes, there are only so many "rich" people and corporations out there and once they have been tapped or relocate out what then?
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post: