View Single Post
Old 04-28-2019, 10:04 AM   #5
ApS

Lightbulb Alternatives...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Last fall while raising the dock on the right the cable broke and the boom dropped. It came down hard enough that it snapped one of the aluminum cross members. The welders that I have contacted so far have truck mounted equipment and cannot get out to the area that needs repair. It is about 40 feet out on the dock but a truck would need 75 feet of cable on the welder to get out to it. There are trees in the way that prevent the truck from getting any closer. I can pick up the materials but as of yet I have been unable to locate someone in the Gilford area that has a portable aluminum welder. Please PM me if you know of anyone. Thank you.
It would seem that the original installer should be able to provide a repair at no expense to you. (After all, it was they who sourced the failed cable).

The problem seems to be the welding equipment (box) needs to be closer to the repair. You'd need more "gauge", but recently, I bought 100-feet of 14-gauge extension cord—reasonably priced at $55.

Loew's, Home Depot, and Harbor Freight sell aluminum welding "boxes" that are readily transportable. Any welder could be called-in to use it.

Of course, he'll complain about how cheap it is, so you can take a page out of another's book, and return it to Lowes. Also, determine where the boom hit the crossmember, and wrap a pool noodle around it to prevent a future reoccurrence.

If a repair looks hopeless (for this time of year), a "splice" of a well-placed 2x4 could get you through this summer season.