View Single Post
Old 07-27-2014, 03:22 PM   #50
Farfrumbehavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaselady View Post
It may not make sense to be out in rough, busy waters in a canoe....but they still have the right of way. There are many canoeists on the lake, and kayakers too. Look at all the YMCA camps and groups that send out the campers in droves in all sorts of conditions. It is up to the power boat driver to keep a diligent look-out. The driver of the powerboat is totally the one at fault.
Totally agree, no excuse, however the question is, how do we avoid another mishap? I have also come up onto kayaks that were lost in the chop. I don't travel fast so it's not a problem to me but I have seen kayakers that have a high viz flag on a whip. I hunt and I where orange, I want to be seen, I don't want to get hit by a boat if I'm in a canoe or a kayak. Common sense is every ones responsibility. We try to spot buoys that are on the chart as we navigate the lake and sometimes stop and look around, confused, and OH Yeah, there it is, why couldn't I see that? I know a canoe is not a buoy but a flag would give something that could be seen over a bow that rides high. just sayin.