View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 05:44 AM   #17
ApS

Default Welch Island In The Middle of The Problem...

Five items stand out in this article—starting with Welch Island.

1) .Welch Islander Kelly Wieser says, "...she worries whether the lake will be safe enough for her daughters, now 2 and 4, to learn to drive someday..."It's just become crazy over the years," she said...the speed limit has been a deterrent for the fast "offensive" boats..."

....Welch Islander Ron Mory of Marlboro, Mass, is quoted in The Union Leader as saying "...large, high speed boats have created a “fear factor” on the lake that ruins the boating experience for practically everyone."

....Welch Island—I've observed for the first time this year myself—is definitely in the middle of the mayhem.

....Welch Islanders live in the gunsights of "the usual offenders" speeding towards Braun Bay!

....Welch Islanders—those long-suffering Welch Islanders: I may need to stop complaining!

"The problem" may be worse to the north of Welch Island than from what I am seeing here to the south of Welch Island .

2)
Quote:
According to Landry, problems on the lake aren't caused by the fastest boats out there but by "stupid, inattentive people driving boats."
Yup. To drive home their point about how safe they are, the Opposers need to make still more friends in the NH Legislature by complaining about every other kind of boater.

3)
Quote:
"...officers have conducted stationary speed monitoring - standing on a dock, using six radars for a total of 60 hours since early July..."
The Marine Patrol has six radar guns, and uses them on "a" dock?

I know "a dock" where they can record the usual offenders— every weekend! The usual offenders exit the Broads after "a comfortable ride on a 'wild and windy' Broads"—then it's WOT in the Bay!!!

4)
Quote:
"The Marine Patrol has seen a 20 percent drop in calls for service".
One WinnFABS principal wrote me in June,
Quote:
"...my personal preference is to let the Marine Patrol go about its business, and not for us to call-in offenders who are speeding..."

5)
Quote:
"This place isn't the wild, wild, west that people make it out to be."
My own perception was such, I wrote a letter to the Granite State News editor titled, "Lake Winnipesaukee is Anarchy".

My "Anarchy" letter was published just three days before the first instance where these "offensive boats" produced Lake Winnipesaukee's second-most tragic collision headline since 1980.

All the principals in that collision had the opportunity to read my letter!