View Single Post
Old 03-28-2019, 03:09 PM   #13
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM
...Frankly I think you're best bet would be to license it out and take a passive per unit % in perpetuity and let a bigger fish that is well positioned with the marketing, distribution and manufacturing already in place take it.

Good luck - I have a lot of admiration for any entrepreneur. Could make you millions and if it does that's freaking awesome!
I agree with MAXUM. I recall in the 70's after market rustproofing of cars TuffKote-Dinol; Rusty Jones, etc). It was sold by independent, licensed, trained dealers. To build volume they sold the service to dealers at a discount and lost their margins. Then the dealers bought the franchises and then the manufacturers started redesigning the cars and the structural materials. That was the end of rustproofing.

As a used boat owner, I imagine I would have to spend a considerable fund to re-do my Awlgrip, and then ?? to apply the film.
My last boat was about 25 years old when I sold it. No significant scratches etc in the gelcoat, but the colored trim was faded and we easily repainted it. My current boat is Awlgripped, and I'm assuming no other owner redid the Awlgrip. It looks very nice for a 20 year old boat.

If I trailered my boat, or kept it on a lift, the risk of dock damage is minimal, same with valet or a slip with whips or 4 way tie.
I think the market would be better where boats are tied to floating docks for long periods, a small market.
If you can patent the process and license it to a vendor who already deals wit several manufacturers, or to a high end manufacturer that might be viable market.

Will it work on wooden boats? Something that protects varnish from sunw and elements and age would be super.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote