View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #27
pcmc

The problems inconsiderate people create are some of the most difficult to solve. If they aren't aware that they are inconveniencing you directly nothing will get resolved.
My wife and I have tried using methods called 'Love and Logic' to deal with our children's behaviors. One suggestion deals with how kids make their problem your problem. The suggestions say to keep the problem the child's and ask them how can they resolve the problem. When they don't know, you offer them two ways to resolve it that YOU will be satisfied with either out come.

I realize this isn't quite the same thing but my point is at least inform the party creating the problem and ask them what can they do so the safety of the ice isn't compromised in front of your property where you would like to venture out on the lake. Probably not likely to get any where, but worth a try.

I'm not sure exactly what a bubbler is, I'm imagining a sump pump with a 1 1/2" pipe outlet, blowing water around from the bottom, (warmer) so it won't freeze. If the flow of water was brought closer to the surface via a longer pipe, maybe a foot or so below the surface, so it disturbed the water more specific to the area of the pipe, would this relieve the current that travels from the depths and along the neighboring shore line and creating the large open area? Maybe a larger diameter pipe can be fabricated to levitate the presure on the flowing water, lessening the current it creates? Probably not practical, but what if a fabric or material with weights on the bottom, was draped off the dock with the bubbler, creating a curtain around the dock and slowing the drifting current, would this help stop the melting of the ice beyond its intent??