Thread: Ice thickness
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 06:37 AM   #61
Mink Islander

Default Ice Thickness

We've got about 12-14 inches (measured) on the North side of Mink Island. First couple are snow ice. The rest is good solid black ice. So by my rough calc's we've been making approximately 1/2 inch per day of ice so we should have nearly 20" by derby weekend if it stays cold.

Saturday's wind blew a lot of snow off the lake and drifted/packed the rest, though the riding should still be ok, but not great. Noticed a fair amount of surface water (slush under foot) passing through Cattle Landing on Sunday. There's usually an expansion crack in the general area off the white boathouse on Dolly Island across to the mainland and near there is pretty damp. I didn't have a auger with me so I could check the thickness. There was 7+ inches through there last week so other than any gaps that will appear if the weather warms, it should be fine through there- particularly on sleds. Not sure I'd drive a truck through there, however. Always an area to be a bit more cautious.

Been pretty quiet on the lake overall near me. Over the past two weekends I have seen a few groups of sleds heading north around Bear hugging the shoreline, some heading between Jolly and Camp heading NE and a few heading East towards the Broads. Ample sled traffic through Cattle Landing and south towards Governor's/Meredith. I expect traffic will pick up this coming weekend as the Derby nears!
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote