View Single Post
Old 06-09-2021, 07:06 PM   #15
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I think we'll be staying at Apple Island Resort, which is just over the Route 2 bridge in South Hero.

I'm not planning on bringing a boat or ski, so I'd have to rent. That's becoming less-inviting as I start adding up the other things we want/can do.

Any other sites to see while out there?
Anyone have an inexpensive/simple rental option?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Ha Ha, you are not talking to the right person.... I know right where you are staying, and lived in South Hero for 10 years, while working in Essex Junction.

I never tried to rent a boat on Champlain, I had hauled my boat over several times over the years. If your boating experience has been on Winnipesaukee, my suggestion is to look for a tour boat excursion. Champlain can be very temperamental. And you can find yourself a long way from help, or a safe place to tie up, unless your really know where you are.

There are many options from a tour boat perspective, or at least there where right out of Burlington Harbor.... Now with that mouth full out, if you haven't already found enough things to do here are some tid bits for you:

1. Hero's Welcome up in North Hero is a great place, and used to make the best gourmet sandwiches.
2. Keeler bay Variety just up the road, (assuming it is still in business) is a grreat close place to get any food related item you might have forgotten.... and even some camping stuff....

3. If you like to walk along the water, there are great paths in Burlington, and Colchester, and even walking along the Causeway if cars going by at 50 MPH doesn't bother you is ok too....

4. A great option to get out on the lake, and understand the vastness that is Champlain is to actually take a ride on the Ferry from South Hero to Plattsburgh. You can do so realtively inexpensively if you just do it as a round trip walk on... Round trip it ends up being about a 1 hour experience, and offers a great view North and south on the like....

5. Now if you want the full lake Ferry experience, what you do is take your car on the Ferry, get off in New York, and drive down to Fort Kent and take the Ferry over into Burlington.. You will cross Champlain at its widest point.. But this adventure is time consuming and will take all in total about 4-5 hours... the Crossing on the Ferry out of Fort Kent is between 1.5 to 2 hours by itself.

6. No if your ventures are going to take you into the Mountains around Stowe, I suggest looking up the Notch road, that goes between the Stowe and Smugglers Notch... It is an awesome drive and only open in the summer months...

7. If in Stowe make sure you stop by the bakery at the Trapp family lodge... Just be prepared to losen you belt a notch.....

I could go on and on, I loved the area, and have thought about retiring there.... right now though Winnipesaukee and Massachusetts are where I need to hang my cap, and dock my boat.

Feel free to P.M. if you would like more information about the area or attractions you think you might want to visit but aren't totally sure about.