Thread: Anchor choice?
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2017, 05:18 AM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by overeasy View Post
I have a 16' aluminum boat. Weighs under 1000# but with a high freeboard, windshield, and Bimini it does have some windage.

My anchor collection consists of:

1. Big Danforth. 10-12#? Was off my 21' sailboat. Has about 4' of chain, 100' rode. Too big to store. Sits on floor of boat at the bow. Allows the chain to slide down to the bottom to pull anchor out by the bottom.

2. More appropriate Danforth.(6-8#?) 6' of chain, 100' rode. Stores nicely in boat. Sorry I don't have better size descriptions. They are (decent) knock-offs and don't have much in the way of labels.

3. 10# Navy. Currently has no chain or rode but I can steal from one of the above.

I don't foresee anchoring to do anything other than fish an interesting spot for a few minutes or eat lunch. In quiet coves if I can find one. But I like to prepare for anything. That said, It's a trailer sailer, if bad weather is predicted I'll be doing something else.

I'll be towing this boat 10 hours through the mountains using an already-loaded-down minivan with my entire gene pool onboard. Weight savings are appreciated and I'd like to bring just one anchor for storage and weight reasons. What would you do? (Other than buy a new anchor) I've never boated on a rocky-bottom lake, just the sandy Chesapeake and it's silty tributaries. Thank you.
Sounds like you've already decided on #2, which sounds fine--everywhere we anchor on Winni is sandy/grassy bottom, so the smaller Danforth would be fine. Godspeed!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote