View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 07:16 AM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default My experience

I live in an association. In the beginning satellites and antennas were not allowed. The FCC made it illegal for associations to ban satellites so we are allowed one satellite disk per unit out of sight from the main road. Unfortunately, my unit is facing South and the receiver can only be on the other side of the unit. #2, there are trees and I was told the receiver should have a clear sight of the satellites.
An antenna in the attic space was great until the waves went digital, now I have no reception. According to an FCC website, I will be required to have a 60 feet antennae just to get one channel! So this is out of the question!
Since the analog to digital, I was force to cable, Metrocast. At first it was great and when they started adding digital frequencies, they had to rewire the unit to a better coax, add a new junction box at the end of the street, etc. But this only happens after multiple calls to customer service. Now there is a 'war' going on that the coax cable buried in the association area has to be replaced and the association is responsible. Association believes Metrocast is responsible. The end result is no service after a severe rain storm or snow melt and not getting the advertised mbps on internet speed. I also experience buffering when I do 'heavy' streaming.
Today I rely on my Roku stick for cable, but the buffering gets me.
My daughter allow me to 'sling' her Comcast account for local news.
When internet is down I used my cell phone account for email and text access.
I was told by Fairpoint that they will 'soon' be having high speed internet in the association if there is enough 'demand' for it.
Fairpoint will soon be bought out by an internet company. I understand the new company will be concentrating on high speed internet.
I'm not going to hold my breath.