View Single Post
Old 10-16-2021, 05:34 AM   #10
jeffk

The problem is, the likelihood of getting COVID is a statistical analysis based on many factors. We can't calculate the odds of getting COVID minute to minute but we CAN be aware of some primary causes and take preventative action. We then have a relative sense of "safety".

Another example, driving a car. Every time I get in a car, there is a possibility of a serious accident or death. Yet, billons of people get in cars every day without a second thought.

The top causes of car accidents are:
Distracted Driving. Distracted drivers are the top cause of car accidents in the U.S. today.
Speeding. Speed kills, and traveling above the speed limit is an easy way to cause a car accident.
Drunk Driving. Driving under the influence of alcohol causes car accidents every day, even when they are one the top causes that can be avoided.
Reckless Driving. Reckless driving is a moving violation in which a driver displays a disregard for the rules of the road.

I can significantly improve my sense of "safety" if I, and any driver of a car I am in, practice avoidance of these causes. Sure, the OTHER car's driver might not but I cannot control that and it is a risk I have to accept or I will have to hide in my house for the rest of my life.

The factors for avoiding COVID are:

Being vaccinated. If vaccinated, the likelihood of getting sick is significantly reduced. Further, the chance of being seriously ill if you have a breakthrough is greatly reduced.

Wearing a mask. While it is most effective in keeping a sick person from infecting others, it also reduces the chance of being infected. If everyone in crowded conditions is masked, you get the benefit of both protections.

Minimizing 10+ minute contact with others, especially inside. Walking by an infected person in the street is very unlikely to infect you. Standing next to someone who is infected in a room for 10+ minutes increases the risk. If you know the person and know they are vaccinated and not sick, the risk is minimal.

Avoiding crowds, especially inside, and especially of people you don't know and are uncertain of their vaccination and health status. More people contact in crowded conditions where you may be forced to be near an infected person for a longer period of time increases risk.

I am vaccinated. I wear a mask inside, especially in crowded situations. I generally avoid crowds here because others are NOT wearing masks. I accept I am not guaranteed to be safe from COVID but I have minimized the risk as best I can.

I just went on a 3 week trip to Italy. I was on planes, trains, and buses. I went to tourist attractions. I shopped in stores. Masks are REQUIRED for EVERYONE in all these situations. I had a negative COVID test before I left and one just before I came back. I have been back 3 days and feel fine. I knew I was not guaranteed immunity from COVID but did all I could to lower the risk. It seems to have worked.

I realize that some people would not have felt "safe" making such a trip. I was concerned but not enough to cancel the trip. Everyone has to make their own choice based on their own sense of personal safety.

As to those who don't want to get the vaccine or wear masks, it's like driving a car after excessive drinking. It may be your choice to do so but, IMO, it's dangerous to yourself and, unfairly so, to others.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post: