View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 07:43 AM   #19
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
A lot of this issue depends on the driveway itself. If you have a circular driveway where the plow can go ONLY in a forward position (without any backing up) then the "pack down" will be at a minimum.

This issue really becomes a big problem when the plow approaches the garage doors, has to lift the plow blade up, drop it at the garage door and then pull the snow backwards in order to clear it away from that location.

Doing this multiple times during every storm does cause a big problem during December, January, and February as the sun is low in the sky, and the daylight is somewhat limited. Come March and April the days are a bit warmer, and the sun is higher in the sky (which allows more "natural" melting). The problem is most severe in driveways which are shaded by buildings or trees and do not get that much needed sunlight.
This! I've been plowing driveways for 40 years and every storm and every driveway is different. If you want the perfect clean every time get a snow blower or a shovel and do it yourself.
If you expect a perfect clean every time from a plow driver be prepared to pay an enormous amount of money.
I drove by an big house in Weston Ma. a few weeks ago during a storm. There were 10 workers there, 8 with shovels and 2 with snow blowers. I'll bet that clean up at least was $1000!
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote