Thread: Bear Island
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2017, 06:42 AM   #75
bbfan33

Default GPS Map

Does anyone have a copy of the GPS map that BearIslander referred to in this post from 2012:

to respect his wishes, please feel free to private message me to discuss
thanks
Bbfan33 on East Bear Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander
I created the Bear Island Map from scratch by walking the island with a GPS attached to my hat. And yes, I received funny looks. The GPS unit recorded my exact location every 20 seconds and way-points when I pressed a button. When transferred to computer this data provides the basic elements of a map.

The map contains many elements that are sensitive in nature. It has the exact location of Historic Sites we wish to preserve including an unmarked graveyard. Break ins have occurred in the off season and public access to a detailed map could make that easier.

Additionally the entire island is private property and is only open to residents and their guests. The 911 system, police, fire, utility companies, residents and island contractors have been given access to the map. I will be happy to give a copy to anyone having a legitimate interest, but I do not feel that publishing it on the internet is in the island's best interest.
bbfan33 is offline   Reply With Quote