View Single Post
Old 10-22-2019, 04:25 AM   #40
ApS

Thumbs down "Loving" It to Death...

I see you've been thanked by member camp guy.

The two of us have been watching the same entropy, but from the "quiet side" of the lake.

At one time, we could take a 12-foot outboard motorboat to buy a postage stamp, eggs, donuts, milk, a soda, and gas up the tank--to return home within 15 minutes. That friendly era was displaced by Soviet-style people-warehouses--adding signage to make one feel very unwelcome.

Back when people worked at keeping their own places up, Wolfeboro had three hardware stores. Bradley's was there, Genes, and Wolfeboro Hardware. One bank.

It was annoying to have strangers anchor off our shore, distracting from our local ambience and mountain view; however, with the churning of too many oversized boats nowadays--even those strangers are unable to keep an anchor "hooked" into the lake bottom. This is not to mention the ever-increasing erosion along Winter Harbor's natural shorelines. (Even endangering house foundations that face Rattlesnake Island). Where were the Town Planners that couldn't see what was happening?

Where floatplanes regularly used Winter Harbor's designated landing zones, even a touch-and-go today is impossible with all the clueless boat traffic milling around.

Money has caused McMansions to spring up. One near me advertises rentals with rooms to accommodate FIVE families--and the use of--three docks. (Where there used to be one).

Although I welcomed the upswing in the 1980's economy, there's been no effort to keep money from corrupting our little Paradise here.