View Single Post
Old 04-04-2018, 12:54 PM   #27
lakershaker

It's hard to compare items like a municipal fire boat to a consumer purchase. As other posters have stated, these are long-life assets that are here for public service. The whole point of a local fire department is to provide a service you wouldn't be able to cost justify individually. Keep in mind, a standard ambulance costs about $150,000.

As far as I'm concerned, I wish the towns actually spent more on fire boat protection. As an islander in Alton, this is really the only service I can ever envision needing my significant property taxes used for. On Rattlesnake, I'd love to have a bigger boat with better capacity than what we usually see on the lake. In Alton, we have a 1997 Eastern, with portable fire pumps. Travel time with the small engines from the bandstand to the island takes awhile... Compare that to the new 33' SAFE boat in Bridgeport CT. Holds 22 people, has 900 HP, and a 2000 GPM pump! Only downside is cost was $700,000! (paid for with a Federal grant) But I for one am happy that Gilford has upgraded to something similar to what Wolfeboro has.
Attached Images

lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote