View Single Post
Old 11-26-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
VtSteve

Let's see if I find this loophole:

Quote:
Chapter 4: The Legal Requirements of Boating
Who May Operate a Vessel

A vessel powered by 25 horsepower or less does not require the operator to have a Safe Boater Education Certificate.

A “ski craft” (motorized vessel less than 13 feet long that is capable of exceeding 20 miles per hour and has the capacity to carry no more than an operator and one other person) may be operated only by persons who are 16 years old or older and who have a valid Safe Boater Education Certificate.

A vessel powered by more than 25 horsepower (other than a “ski craft”) may be operated by:

A person under 16 years of age only if he or she is accompanied by a person 18 years old or older who has a valid Safe Boater Education Certificate. The accompanying person is responsible for any injury or damage caused during operation of the vessel.
A person 16 years of age or older only if he or she has obtained a Safe Boater Education Certificate.
A Safe Boater Education Certificate may be obtained by persons 16 years of age or older only and must be carried on board.
So, let's say my 8 year-old wants to take out a boat that has a 20 HP outboard on it. It's not a ski-craft by definition. So there is nothing legally stopping him from doing that, right?

I operated a 12' 5HP boat when I was around 9 or 10 years old. Perhaps that "was" the intention of the law?

I don't have the actual law in front of me. But it would appear that Anyone could operate the boat I used as an example regardless of age? It seems that everyone from newborn babies on up can operate anything but a Ski Craft with less than 26 hp.

An unintended loophole I guess.
Sponsored Links