Thread: Sandbars
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2019, 11:45 AM   #10
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Susie...

The sandbars at Braun & Smalls are fairly self regulating in that the number of boats allowed is dictated by the No Rafting Zone. Yes the rules get bent somewhat, but that is a small price to pay given the alternative unintended consequence. The lake is full when it comes to boats (have you seen the price of slips? YIKES!) and the State/Towns show no restraint when it comes to allowing the marinas build more valet storage facilities. Until the economy takes a dive, this is the new reality.

Woodsy
I don't know much about Smalls cove, But Braun Bay is certainly not self regulating. All the No Rafting Zone rules have done is spread the boats out over more of the shoreline, such that some boats, are no longer on the Sandbar itself. In short the mass of people is just spread out over a larger area of the bay. I don't have any problem with it, but to say that it is self regulated by the No Rafting Zone rules is, not at all accurate...

As for Valet Storage facilities, I don't think there really has been a substantial increase in the regards for a while. The real damage was done a while ago. but it is what it is..... The lake is crowded don't go blaming it on one thing or another, because it suits your point or agenda......

Her are some facts from my neighborhood on the lake....

30 years ago
- One lot not even developed
- of 15 or 16 houses on the water, only two had multiple boats....

today
- All lots developed
- over half the homes have multiple boats/Jet ski

Bottom line people keep investing at the lake, be it developing their lake front property, or multiple family members investing in boats.... At time the docks at a multi boat home are empty, meaning 2 or more vessels out on the water.....

Winnipesaukee, is a paradise, one could argue it has been developed too far. But there isn't a singular problem. There are many, and many people and entities to blame.

I am not worried about the next economic down turn changing things on the lake...... I am worried about the over use of the lake bring about change, as water quality continues to go down. The area has already lost its charm as a place to get away.... its already too crowded to get away from anything.....