View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #36
ApS

Cool Lurching Back to the Topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post
I'm just curious if anyone else has thought about radar/lasar detection while running on the lake? With near infinite range, it would be very easy to pick up the MP when they are using it.
I am presently eight miles from a major RADAR emitter. About every 20-seconds, I pick up its scanning "b-r-r-r-r-p!" on a relatively low AM frequency (610) on each of my standard home radios. This particular RADAR has a large baud-width, so it is fairly easy to detect.

Besides BI's low-depth alarm, there may be a frequency on a standard scanner or standard boat radio that picks up some cycle of NHMP RADAR.

RADAR was used by the military coastal surveillance for enemy aircraft and ships, and employed civilian "Coast-Watchers"). Before there was RADAR, there were the so-called "Coast-Listeners".

I have a good collection of these: the above device appears to be American.

The variety of those listening device designs is amazing. Long before the aircraft would appear in sight, I expect an experienced operator could determine if fighter or bomber, the speed, the number of engines on each aircraft, as well as the exact direction of compass—the general direction of flight—and the number of aircraft approaching. (Much more data than early RADAR.)

'Course, out on the lake, such data collection by ear is unneeded. During the day, you can hear loud boats eight miles away, and still not be able to see them!