Thread: Thermocline?
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2019, 10:38 AM   #8
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNI BOB View Post
Hi;

I have been fishing the lake for over 50 years. I have noticed that every year the number of salmon has been declining. About 5-6 years ago, me and a buddy, caught 28 salmon in Center harbor in about 4-5 hours. We could only use 1 rod each as the activity was so intense. We had 2-3 "double-headers". Since then, the action is horrible, maybe 1-2 fish per outing.

Over the past 2 weeks, I have only caught 3 salmon. Something is not right !!! The live smelt and shiners that AJ's bait has been supplying has been great. I hope they figure out what's going on, because this is driving me nuts. I have noticed that the 3 salmon I have caught were all badly scarred(scales missing), and 1 had half of it's tail missing. I wonder if the many otters that I've seen recently are attacking and feeding on the salmon????? The other thing that I've noticed is the absence of surface activity (slurping) early in the am and later at twilight is, almost non existent, whereas, years ago, the salmon would be attacking the bugs frequently.

I would appreciate any comments or confirmation of my thoughts.

WINNI BOB
They need to ban fishing tournaments in NH. They might be good for the locals making money, but the fisheries are being harmed, especially the winter derbies.
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swnoel For This Useful Post: