Thread: Viking Longship
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2016, 04:50 AM   #8
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
OK. I thought it was an interesting date coincidence that Hastings was Oct 14, and this posting started on a similar date. Those old guys calendars were not always 100% accurate, and the mail was very slow in 1066.
Nevertheless, the longship info was interesting as were the videos. Thanks for posting.

Starting in 1950, there has always been a "Viking" in our family as a boat name. My paternal grandparents were both from Denmark. We appreciate the seafaring achievements of the Vikings.
We too had a boat named "Viking" in our family. It was one of two boats built by my great uncles in Lanesville MA in the 1930's. Most of the details are now lost to history but one boat was 36' and the other 40'. The other boat was named the "Cora Jane". Both were built at the end of a dead end street that was within 300' of the rocky shore. Due to the rocks, the boats had to be hauled up the hill and a few streets over for their maiden launch into Lane's cove.

The first boat was used for the paid entertainment of my uncle's fellow Boston PD friends. He took them out fishing, picnicking and likely drinking. After the second boat was built and launched to replace the first, WWII began and as one would expect, the entertainment gig ended quickly. The 40' boat was repurposed as a dragger on which my teenaged father served as mate.

My dad had some intersting stories from that experience.