View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #99
Merrymeeting

I wish the US would adopt more of the European standards for driving. In most countries in Europe, pulling over for faster traffic is almost a religion and it is enforced. As a result, traffic flows much more smoothly. They also highly frown on passing on the right.

So you don't see the crazy lane changers doing dangerous moves at 80MPH, and less road rage because everyone knows you will pull over as soon as possible. I wish they would start enforcing these rules here.

My worst example of speed limits is Kings Highway/Middleton Road through Middleton. It starts by going from 40 to 35 at the Middleton line. About a mile in, it goes to 30, on a road that could not be more rural and sparsely populated.

When you get to Rt 152/Middleton Lumber, it goes up to 50...for about 500 yrds, then back to 30, down to 20 for 100 yards near a beach on Sunrise Lake, then to 30, back to 50, then 40, all before you reach Farmington.

The Middleton police patrol it constantly, especially in the summer. I was pulled over once doing 34 in the 30 zone. Thankfully it was just a warning. But many other family members and neighbors have been similarly stopped. It's a bit much. Especially the 30-50-30 stretches.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote