View Single Post
Old 04-17-2020, 11:24 AM   #48
Bigstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riviera View Post
I believe the City has been short sighted in its view of the Weirs. They have been saying "yes", to businesses that are focused on creating parking lots for MW week, instead of focusing on ways to alter that dynamic. I'm not opposed to the Dive concept, although I think they had a somewhat flawed business model, and are now grasping at straws. That said, I am opposed to them leasing waterfront access property, for $1,500 per year. The water rights to a dock are worth far more than that, and if the City is going to offer that land/water right up for private use, they should investigate all potential options, and select the best alternative that is presented. If the best alternative is the Dive, so be it.
"This year the Dive’s owners, Jamison Merriam and Betsy Sullivan, are proposing to build a large pier at the city’s public docks on the opposite site of the Winnipesaukee Pier.

Under the plan, the owners would pay for the construction of the pier and installation of all utilities, a cost estimated to be as much as $100,000"

I'm not worried about the $1,500. Building a pier where there isn't one would be what I would call an improvement. So it's 100k + $1,500 a year as far as I'm concerned. And if they fail or move on in a year or two the town gets a pier they can sell @ market rate. I don't see how that's an unfair advantage or a great deal for them, they are in effect building their own lot to lease at a much reduced rate. I doubt they think their initial offer of $250/mo will be accepted, but what is fair market value for a pier that doesn't exist yet ? If the city thinks it's such a high amount they are free to build their own pier and sell/lease it.

Kudos to the Dive folks for trying to carve out a niche.
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote