View Single Post
Old 08-14-2022, 08:42 PM   #198
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
I might have misinterpreted when you used the terms peacemaker and dissenter. If so, my apologies. Now you’ve taking up the mantle that Richard appropriately abandoned and lowered yourself to the “questioning IQ” gambit. Yes, I know common sense. The weather is the weather. Weren’t we supposed to be under water or frozen over by now according to “scientists” of the 20th century? One man’s facts are another man’s fallacies. Saying something is a fact doesn’t make it so. Only a few hundred years ago the world was, in fact, flat. Only a few months ago the vaccine, in fact, cured the virus. Which was it, naïveté or gullibility, on the part of the masses who slavishly believed the “scientists”?
Smart people recognize when they are not experts on a topic and they look to experts for information rather than relying on personal opinion and bias when the issue is a question of fact. I would rather rely on people who study something all day every day than on my personal opinion, especially if 98% of experts in a field agree on the issue.

Smart people also take the time to examine the source of their opinion on a topic. Does it come from my reading of reports from experts? From my political beliefs? My religious beliefs? My parents, schooling, friends, news media, the government, personal experience, etc etc.? Not smart people hold firm but unexamined beliefs about issues that relate more to facts than opinions, like flat earthers. You can't really have an opinion on whether the earth is flat. You can have either knowledge or ignorance of that fact. (Or you can pretend you don't know the facts and present untruths because you have some other agenda.)

By those definitions of smart and not smart, you seem to be going out of your way to place yourself in the latter category.