View Single Post
Old 09-03-2019, 06:43 AM   #9
Dave R

The following is written solely with the subject of longevity as the main concern:

For I/O bowriders in that size range, would stay with top brands like Cobalt or Bryant. IMO, they have the best build quality in areas you can't readily see and will be less likely to suffer from structural issues (rotted stringers, bulkheads and transoms) 20 years from now. That said, perhaps most boats built in the last 5 years have made improvements in the construction quality of these hidden areas, I don't know, but I know for sure that Cobalt and Bryant have been doing it right all along. I have crawled around in a lot of boats and many other "premium" brands are not as well thought out or executed as Bryant or Cobalt.

I also have to agree with others here that you should include the mid-west in your shopping area. I bought my last two boats in Indiana and Michigan, with great success. My current boat is 27 years old and has never been Winterized, it spent 6-7 months of the year in a heated building in Michigan (where such storage is common and reasonably-priced), and it shows. It was priced identically to the same make and model that had been kept in salt water 365 days a year in CT.

I kept my last boat on a trailer, under a big car port when I was not using it and despite being 19 years old, it looked fantastic when I sold it. Since you intend to keep the boat for a long time, do everything you can to limit the amount of time the boat spends in water and in the sun, which are, oddly enough, the two worst typical environments for a boat. If you plan to keep it in a slip, ensure it has great canvas to keep the gel coat in good shape OR strongly consider getting an all-white boat. People that have to maintain big fiberglass boats will tell you there are only two colors for a boat: white and stupid. The only exception would be a boat with a painted hull; paint is much more resilient to sunlight than gel coat. Formula is the only common brand I'm aware of that comes with a paint from the factory. I don't believe they make a bowrider in the 20 to 22 foot range though.

I know you said I/O power, but you may want to think about and outboard powered, dual console boat instead. They are typically better built than an I/O boat and should last a lot longer. Look at a Grady White Freedom 215 for a great example of a rugged DC boat.

Good luck! I'm sure the perfect boat is out there.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post: