View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #18
NHDreaming

Default Bald Peak Caddy Camp

It has been great to read some of these new posts! I will try and contribute some information with what I can remember. The truck accident happened on the way to a trip up to the Cog Railway on Mt Washington. The trip was in recognition of the lunar landing in 1969. It was a bad accident. I believe it was Steven Kelly who lost his arm. I was one of the caddies who opted not to go for some reason. I have put a link below to a newspaper artcle about the accident that I am guessing was from a paper in Norwalk, CT. The truck was an old army truck with planks across it for bench seats. It had a canvas top over a pipe frame. We thought nothing of climbing in it to go to town or wherever. You would not even begin to think of putting campers in something like that now. Different times. The camp picked up an extended red van right after accident for transportation. It did not hold anywhere near the #s of passengers but was much safer.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=5756,1997168

It is welcoming to hear such names as Franny Quinn, Bob Roache and Danny McMillan. Franny was the caddy master my first year in 68. His brother Steve was a camp councillor that year. Fran loved sports and I think he would play softball and footbal with us on the 16th fairway. I think Fran wanted to become a preist and was attempting to get into the seminary. Bob Roach was the assitant pro and a guy who enjoyed himself. Not that there's anything wrong with that! Danny was a camper my first year and became the caddy master in 68. Bob Daly aka "Biff" was the camp director my second and third years. Hugh Bittinger aka "Mr B" was the director my first year.
My brother in-law golfed at Bald Peak this past fall. He was a guest of a member. They stayed at the club hotel and ate in the grill/reataurant. Dinner was followed by an evening of cocktails and cigars on the patio out back. He loved the course. I am hoping to squeeze myself in if he gets back up this year.
Hello to Fiourstardave and Merrymeeting!
NHDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NHDreaming For This Useful Post: