View Single Post
Old 06-26-2020, 04:04 PM   #20
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizer View Post
When I was in Coast Guard OCS, we learned that it was preferable NOT to have the right-of-way [ROW]. This was because you never know whether the other bozo knows the rules-of-the-road, especially if the co-pilot is scantily-clad.

However, the vessel with ROW is obligated to maintain course and speed unless a collision is imminent. This gives the other vessel knowledge of the ROW's intentions so that other vessel can maneuver around the ROW vessel.

As for the O.P.:
One factor in determining right-of-way [ROW] is maneuverability. Less maneuverable boats usually have ROW. This is why sailboats usually have ROW over motorized boats. Vessels with tow have the ROW over ordinary boats. Whether a waterskiier in tow qualifies may be a debated matter .

I practice that while driving in the car too. If coming up to a 4 way stop and it appears me and another car will get there at the same time I'll slow down a little to make it very clear the other guy got there first. Odds are whoever it is will not know or follow the rules and it's just easier that way.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote