View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #30
donnamatrix

Default Response to Secondcurve & GTO

SC
I don't come from a retail background-but was a chef/manager in Boston for longer than I care to tell, and the margins in food industry are extremely slim. I can only say that in ANY economy, businesses that depend on "walk in" trade have to be competitive, and I don't believe JS has been competitive in many, many years. I will give you an example: went to buy a small rack of lamb (twice in past couple years): price at JS was about $24, price at Hannaford in Gilford was $9.79... hello? The family that owned JS owns two markets in MA... they have been in supermarket business for more than 20 years... I think they probably have ability and purchasing power to address the cost/pricing issues. GTO: I agree that all families right now have to do what is necessary to keep their noses above water-and we're all doing it. Making a list, waiting until we perhaps need stuff at BJs and then hitting Market Basket, buying in bulk and freezing. Menu planning for crockpots, you name it-It once was that I NEVER looked at the price of anything in the market, just purhchased what I wanted. Those days are memories folks.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote