View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009, 08:24 PM   #19
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
It's true I won't miss their pricing, but the people who work at JS are really good folks and it's nasty that they will lose their jobs because the Star management has decined to modify their business strategy to be competitive. I agree with FLL, the bagels are great! I try to support our local businesses... Moulton Farm is the best no matter what-why go elsewhere? I love Chick-a-Dee station, and his prices, although twice as high on certain items, are mostly competitive. I love Aubuchon in Moultonboro and True Value in Laconia... but would dearly love a Market Basket in the JS spot. Very unsettling times for everyone.
Donna:

Have you ever considered the possibility that this small supermarket had to charge higher prices to stay in business? Food retailing is a business that operates on razor thin margins. It is likely that Jackson Star didn't have access to the same purchase prices as its larger competitors. Otherwise, when the competition moved into town they would have cut their prices to the level of Hannaford's and stayed in business.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote