View Single Post
Old 06-09-2015, 08:02 AM   #19
ApS

Question Consideration for Peaceable Boaters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
APS...

READ THE RSA! GEEZ! Perhaps its just beyond your ability comprehend?? It such a simple thing... Yet you keep posting complete and utter falsehoods!You have to pass the DB limit both in Quiet Mode or Open Mode... you are not EVER allowed to have an un-muffled boat! And get this.... they still have drive by noise testing! Show me the RSA where you are allowed to have un un-muffled boat!! Wait you cant.... Woodsy
I "comprehend" just fine. My feeble performance in mathematics courses was saved when I aced courses in Logic—which my school counted as "equivalent" to mathematics in points.

Back to "Performance Boat" noise:

The moment you "loaded" the engine you increased its noise. Think of the last time you stood behind a Harley when he accelerates his Diluvian artifact "quickly" from a stop.

The engine's "load" at the dock is going to be very much less than the drive-by tests. (And why drive-by tests are purportedly still in effect—NH's Legislators probably aren't aware of the overwhelming part that "load" takes in these tests).

The "load" at the propeller is heaviest at the extreme speeds that threaten other boaters' safety—as written in the NH Boaters' Guide. Too often (actually most of the time) the selection of "loudest" is made with the switchable exhaust. One can wonder why ocean-racers have their "Cowboy" image.

Three days ago, a neighbor and I were talking on my porch, when I interrupted by saying, "Here comes a noisy boat". Sure enough, a white deck/blue hull/white bottom boat came into view and passed within a quarter mile of my porch—and an NHMP boat—who was slowing at the time.

Upon realizing that the NHMP could be "trouble", he did a 180, and boogied back to The Broads—and on the way—put his switchable exhaust into "less objectionable" mode. (Although it's said here repeatedly that switching noise at speed is impossible).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vita Bene View Post
Our hearing takes a bigger beating from leaf blowers and music than boats
The noise one hears within one's noisy boat is much more suppressed than the outdoor (and sometimes even indoor) environment disturbed as the intruder passes by peaceable folk.

Noisy boats "have fun" in the amphitheater of Lake Winnipesaukee's shoreline hills. Our hills announce the intrusion of loud noise well in advance of the intruder's arrival on the scene—and sometimes will echo the noise more than twice! This applies to aircraft and (particularly) fireworks as well.

The prior photo shows that even "Country & Western music" can be painful to little ears. Note the Confederacy uniform.

How about some "Consideration of others"?

Attached Images