View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 01:59 AM   #45
ApS

Wink Tiny Bubbles...That Will Not Fade Away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
If a coordianated effort to disrupt traffic was uncovered, that would be messy. The rules of the road do not allow boats to intentionally impede another vessel. This may be the lesson that Broadhopper's sailor learned.

NH RSA 270-D:2
IX. Canoes, kayaks, rowboats, sailboats, and swimmers shall be given the right-of-way. This requirement shall not be construed to allow deliberate impediment of motorboats by canoes, kayaks, rowboats, sailboats, and swimmers.

1) We never discovered why Broadhopper's sailor was stopped: I suspect a neglect to register his sailboat—unless his sailboat doesn't require registration or numbers—as some "sailboats" are exempted by NH law. Sometimes, a "closer look" is necessary—followed by a warning.

In my case, it took a letter with documentation mailed to the NHMP Director, where my "sailboat" was exonerated from NH registration.

2) Perhaps nobody involved had learned sailing on "protected inland lakes"—where winds are typically flukey—and a crash-jibe had never been experienced by Broadhopper or the Marine Patrol officer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
From that distance, you can't tell what type of boat it is, how fast it is going, or anything about it other than its general direction.
1) All very true—a sketch would have been equally instructivebut look at what was just inferred

Quote:
"I think you are a bit paranoid, and overly sensitive to the transgressions by performance boats.
2) Nobody commented that it's "general direction" is on a collision course to an occupied sailboat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
APS, you have a wealth of information to offer, when you decide to provide it in a factual, thoughtful way.
I'm not very good at sketching—a photograph will have to do.

You're not registered at the "friendly" Wolfeboro forum, where several such photos appeared—I'm collecting those photos every day—and not just on weekends.

Quote:
But your over the top condemnations center on such a small niche of the boating world, your selectivity makes it readily apparent you spin everything you sow.
What appears invisible is my total support for small boats on protected inland waters: Except that the photo is of a powerboat, there is no telling what kind of boat is in the photo!

Quote:
There are aholes in every type of craft, and always will be. I probably agree with you in regards to certain "types" you describe, and have done so myself...You and I could probably have had a great time shaking our heads at what I witnessed from my anchored boat yesterday. Four completely different craft operated by some very vintage, stereotypical boneheads. All were breaking long-standing laws, all were completely apathetic to their surroundings and other boaters.
1) Do a search here, with the word "empathy", to find the many times I've described the boating trangressions you speak of.

If you begin your boating with a powerboat, you'll never develop empathy with the small boats that are everywhere on Lake Winnipesaukee—some are paddled by "tots".

2) When small boats or sailboats aren't being run-over by oversized boats, they're taking a beating from their wakes!

3) Sometime, look behind you: If your wake "crests" 100 yards behind you—particularly on the inside of a turn—you're a moving hazard to small boats, while you think you're operating "normally".

Quote:
You only go on this trip we call life once...Why do it inside your own bubble?
This particular "bubble" is particularly fragile.