Thread: Stimulus Checks
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2020, 07:51 AM   #90
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Someone knowledgeable probably has an intelligent response, but I have wondered what geniuses thought this would be a workable solution to the unemployment problem (juicing it up with a $600 bonus). Terrible idea, IMO.
My daughter, a hair dresser, lost her employment when they closed the salon at the beginning of this fiasco. Single mom with my 4 yr old granddaughter and a mortgage. She immediately applied for unemployment and when they calculated her benefit it came to $72/week. Their calculation formula, as the state law mandates, did not include her last (so many, months, not sure) of her income and she appealed that most of her “better” income had come in that “omitted” time period. They would not adjust anything and her benefit was to be $72.
Then they came out with the $600 deal and that lifted her spirits a bit.
She has since received the stimulus money for her and her daughter but has yet to see any unemployment benefit. (As of last week when I asked her)
Many will take advantage of that $600 and will not want to work but that is not the case with my daughter.