View Single Post
Old 10-17-2020, 08:01 AM   #14
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default A different problem in NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Thanks, friend.

The real losers this year are those from lower-income families because they're stuck in an impossible system: many are unable to work from home and can't afford daycare, so they're getting hammered. Add that, statistically, they live in areas with higher transmission rates, and that remote access and access to technology will be more difficult, and students from places like Lowell, Lawrence, Boston, Chelsea, Everett, etc. (I don't know enough of current NH towns to discuss, but I would guess Laconia, Manchester, etc.) are infinitely more disadvantaged than from higher-income areas.

[emoji1696] we'll start to see a more cohesive strategy to keep the numbers down and better treatments/a vaccine sooner than later.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
While the major cities in NH may have problems with families that can't work from home, a good portion of NH has a different set of problems. Internet access. I have been on Zoom meetings with an organization to which I belong, and with about a dozen or so attendees, 2 of them have to do the dial-in feature because they have no internet (1) or their internet is so slow Zoom freezes constantly (1).
Many areas in the North Country and also Upper Valley have limited or no internet access. A whole new set of problems.

Here's to getting kids safely back in the classrooms.

Dave