View Single Post
Old 10-07-2022, 07:58 AM   #14
Major

Default A nickel's worth of free advice

This thread is very timely. I am assisting an executor in probating a will of a close family member. As a former JAG, I drafted hundreds of wills for soldiers who were deploying. (Simple wills for simple soldiers.) So I know a little about this area of the law. With this particular will there is a fair amount of confusion about specific bequests and how they are funded. Frankly, this section of the will was poorly drafted. We know what the Testator's intent was, so we are proceeding with that understanding. However, if we had a beneficiary who wanted to kick up a stink, we'd be in serious trouble.

The person who wrote the will is a local attorney with a very good reputation. However, the attorney is a traditional country attorney who, in addition to estate planning, also claims to be proficient in real estate, corporate law and tax. When you choose an estate planning attorney, select an attorney who ONLY does estate planning. They most likely will have more touches and be more up-to-date with recent changes in the law.

Good luck!
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post: