Thread: Hurricane Ian
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2022, 05:58 PM   #51
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

I traveled south on 75 today from north of Tampa to Fort Myers. I was surprised at the number of vehicles obviously there to aid in the support and cleanup of the area.

I expected the National Guard convoys, the long lines of electric trucks from out of state, and the helicopters flying overhead.

I was surprised at the number of out of state registered vehicles obviously there because of the hurricane. The Missouri Methodist Disaster truck? Two tractor trailers with multiple entrance doors down the side labeled sleeping accommodations for 30. Those were followed by two trucks labeled "shower accommodations." There was a convoy of Red Cross trucks with Ohio plates. Many ServPro trucks from out of state. There were a lot of pick ups, some towing trailers with signs like "Disaster Response".

I realize that most of the damage is West of 75 so it really didn't look bad in the area I traveled. At the grocery store I ran into a neighbor who said her jewelry store on Ft Myers beach was destroyed. They won't even allow business owners onto the island until some time next week. They are blocking cars going in so she had someone take her by boat and she ran up to her store and took the diamonds out of the safe.

There were supposed to be offshore powerboat races off of Ft Myers beach October 6- 10. Not going to happen this year!

It is going to be a long time before things are normal again.
TiltonBB is online now   Reply With Quote